Overview of PMAD Treatment
Maternal Mental Health Provider
This online resource guide has searchable therapist criteria developed for the Maryland/DC/Virginia region and can help you connect patients with a qualified perinatal mental health therapist.
Medication and therapy can be very affective for treatment of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. For medication information, please refer to the Healthy New Moms medication chart. There are many medications that are safe to prescribe during pregnancy and the postpartum period.
- Opioid abuse, dependence, and addiction in pregnancy. Committee Opinion No. 524. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- A randomized controlled trial of culturally relevant, brief interpersonal psychotherapy for perinatal depression. Grote, N., Swartz, H., Geibel, S., Zuckoff, A., Houck P., & Frank, E. (2009). Psychiatric Services
- A Cohort Comparison of Buprenorphine versus Methadone Treatment for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Eric S. Hall, PhD, Barbara T. Isemann, BSPharm, Scott L. Wexelblatt, MD, Jareen Meinzen-Derr, PhD, Jason R. Wiles, MD, Sharon Harvey, BSN, Henry T. Akinbi, MD (2016). The Journal of Pediatrics
- Webinar: Medication-Assisted Treatment During Pregnancy, Postnatal and Beyond
National Center for Substance Abuse and Child Welfare
- Maternal Opioid Treatment: Human Experimental Research (MOTHER)–approach, issues and lessons learned
Society for the Study of Addiction
- Medication for the Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder: A Brief Guide
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration
- NEW ACOG Resource: Clinical Updates in Women’s Health Care: Mood and Anxiety Disorders (September 2017)
Note: To access, you or someone you know need an ACOG membership.
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders by Lauren M. Osborne, MD and Jennifer L. Payne, MD
Contains useful information regarding biochemical basis of mood and anxiety disorders, risk factors for these disorders across the life span of women, screening and diagnosis, evaluation of patients and initiation of a management plan, treatment of uncomplicated illness, and referrals of more complicated cases.
- Relapse of major depression during pregnancy in women who maintain or discontinue antidepressant treatment. Cohen, L., et al. (2006). Journal of the American Medical Association
- Postpartum depression peer support: Maternal perceptions from a randomized controlled trial. Dennis, C. (2009). International Journal of Nursing Studies
- TIP 51: Substance Abuse Treatment: Addressing the Specific Needs of Women
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration