Find Helpful Resources
Connect with other helpful resources for new and expecting mothers and families.
- This online resource guide offers a directory of therapists developed for the Maryland/DC/Virginia region.
- Johns Hopkins Women’s Mood Disorder Center | 410-502-7449
- Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Women’s Mental Health
- MCPAP for Moms (Massachusetts Child Psychiatry Access Project)
- Motherisk | Help Line 877-439-2744
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) | 1-866-615-6464 | Go here for information on clinical trials.
- Network of Care Maryland
- Perinatal Depression & Anxiety Outreach Program (PDOP) at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore | 410-601-7832
- Postpartum Support International| 800-944-4773 (English & Spanish) | Psychiatric Consult Line: 800-944-4773 x 4
- Postpartum Support Maryland | 240-432-4497
- University of Maryland Women’s Mental Health Program | 410-328-6091
- Warrior Mom Forum
A free, private forum in partnership with the company Smart Patients for moms who don’t feel comfortable asking questions, commenting or otherwise talking in public about what they’re going through.
- Postpartum Progress
The Postpartum Progress blog offers in-depth information, support, and hope for all pregnant and new moms who have perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
- Warrior Mom Book Club on Facebook
- Warrior Mom Spotify Playlist
- Postpartum Stress Center
Provides support, counseling and education to women and their families who experience difficulties related to pregnancy, pregnancy loss, and the postpartum period.
- National Postpartum Depression Hotline (PPD MOMS) | 1-800-PPD-MOMS (1-800-773-6667)
- First Shift Justice Project
The mission of First Shift Justice Project is to empower low-income pregnant women and parents to safeguard the economic security and health of their families by asserting their workplace rights.
- Addiction Guide: Substance Use Information and Resources
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
The FDA provides information on medicine and pregnancy.
- Healthy Babies Collaborative in Baltimore County
- Essex Breastfeeding Moms Luncheon
General Childbirth Resources
For expecting and new moms looking for information about childbirth, parenting and general information, here are some resources that can help:
- Stork Childbirth Education offers classes for expecting parents, such as childbirth education, baby care, infant CPR, and breastfeeding.
- The Womb Room is a gathering space for expecting parents and growing families. Located in the heart of Hampden, The Womb Room is home to a variety of classes and workshops to help moms and families gather the information and resources they need, as well as to build a strong community of support.
- The Birthing Circle provides education and resources about pregnancy, birth, postpartum support, and informed choice. The organization also offers community building and knowledge sharing through Facebook groups.
Help for New Parents
- Beginning with Baby offers in-home mother baby support services for the greater Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area and provides new parents with education and support as they learn to care for their newborn.
10 Things You Should Know About the Mental Health Parity Law
1. Current regulations went into effect in January of 2010.
The Wellstone and Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act was passed in 2008, but Interim Final Regulations were released in 2010. All insurance plans that are not specifically exempted from the law must now be in compliance.