Lobbying by Phone
A phone call is a quick and easy way to convey your position to a legislator. Your call will be most effective if you remember these helpful hints:
- Identify yourself by name, address, and hometown (if within the official’s legislative district).
- Identify the bill by name and number.
- Briefly state your position and how you would like your legislator to vote.
- Ask for your legislator’s view on the bill or issue.
- Thank your legislator and/or their staff for taking your call.
- If your legislator requires further information, supply it as quickly as possible. The legislative cycle moves extremely fast during the session.
- If you speak with an aide but would like to discuss the bill more fully with your legislator, ask that your message and phone number be relayed to your legislator and that your call be returned. Even if you are not able to speak directly with your legislator, the message will be relayed and will add to the overall impact of your lobbying effort.
- If you do not have your legislator’s Annapolis phone number, call the General Assembly switchboard and ask to be connected with your legislator’s office.
- From Baltimore/Annapolis area: 410-946-5000
- From Washington area: 301-970-5000
- From elsewhere in Maryland: 1-800-492-7122