Happy New Year! This is the first full week of the 2023 legislative session and the Maryland General Assembly is already in full swing. Elected officials will spend the next few months hammering out Maryland’s budget and debating over 2,000 legislative proposals covering a variety of issues.
MHAMD will play a major role in these deliberations as we work to ensure Marylanders living with mental health and substance use disorders can access high quality behavioral health care.
Equal Treatment Maryland
MHAMD has joined with its partners in the Maryland Behavioral Health Coalition in support of an ambitious agenda for the 2023 session. As part of the Equal Treatment Maryland campaign, the Coalition is advocating for passage of its 2023 Behavioral Health Crisis Prevention Platform.
The platform includes the following set of community-based reforms and workforce initiatives designed to improve behavioral health outcomes, save money, and keep people out of crisis.
- Improve the quality of behavioral health care delivered in primary care settings by expanding access to the proven Collaborative Care Model
- Expand access to comprehensive, flexible, community-based behavioral health care through expansion of Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics (CCBHCs)
- Address behavioral health workforce shortages by establishing a Behavioral Health Workforce Investment Fund
Watch for more information about each of these initiatives over the coming weeks.
MHAMD 2023 Legislative Briefing and Reception
We are back in person this year for the 2023 Legislative Briefing and Reception on February 15 in Annapolis where we will:
- Hear from Governor-elect Wes Moore and other members of the new administration
- Hear from members of the Maryland General Assembly about legislation that will impact Marylanders’ behavioral health
- Celebrate our 2023 behavioral health awardees
- Hear from an expert panel about the positive outcomes being achieved by Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics (CCBHCs) in Maryland and across the country.
Seating at this event is limited! Register today to reserve your spot.
This Week in Annapolis
The policy priorities detailed above aren’t the only important issues being debated in Annapolis. MHAMD will provide testimony this week on the following bills. Our full updated bill list is attached.
SB 3 MHAMD supports this bill providing $12 million next year to the 9-8-8 Trust Fund.
Further information about the material above is available on the Maryland General Assembly website.