If you are worried about your emotions or behavior, you can start by talking with friends, family members, your spiritual counselor, or your family physician about your concerns. The primary sources of information about options for getting help are mental health professionals who have special training to treat specific age groups (like children, adults, older adults) or specific illnesses (like anxiety, depression, attention deficit disorder [ADD] or schizophrenia). If you have a specific need, be sure to explain it when you call any of the following for a referral.

A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor with special training to diagnose and treat mental illness. Psychiatrists are the only mental health professionals who can write prescriptions for medicines. To find a psychiatrist, call 410-625-0232.

A Psychologist is a licensed individual with a Ph.D or an equivalent subject. A psychologist can diagnose and treat mental illness and do psychological testing. S/he also can provide individual and group therapy. To find a psychologist, call 410-992-4258.

A Pastoral Counselor has a college degree and mental health training, is a clergy person or a certified layperson, and has had supervised training. To find a pastoral counselor, call 410-433-2241.

A Licensed Certified Clinical Social Worker is a therapist with a master’s degree in social work. Clinical social workers offer couples, group, family and individual therapy. To find a clinical social worker, call 410-298-3226.

A Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor has a master’s degree in a health and human service counseling, as well as field and training in alcohol and drug abuse treatment. To find a treatment center, call 410-402-8600.

A Certified Professional Marriage and Family Therapist has a master’s degree in marriage and family counseling and offers help for married couples and families. To find a marital and family counselor, call 301-460-0340.

A Certified Professional Counselor is a counselor with a master’s degree in the fields of psychology or counseling who has special training in examining and treating patients.

A Psychiatric Advanced Practice Nurse is a registered nurse with a master’s degree and is a certified specialist in psychiatric or mental health nursing.

Core Service Agencies – These are local agencies (by county) that are responsible for planning, managing and monitoring a specific area’s mental health services in Maryland.  Visit for a complete listing or call, 301-682-9754.

MHAMD is a statewide education and advocacy agency and we are here to help you.  You can reach us at 443-901-1550 or